- MEG’s Basic CSA Membership
- How It Works
- The Details
- Initial Setup and Requirements
- Plant Selection
- Helpful Tips For Success
MEG’s Basic CSA Membership
MEG’s Basic CSA Membership allows you the time freedom to grow food without the traditional work associated with starting and tending a garden! This basic membership includes our grow bags selected by you. Any other equipment (i.e. irrigation system) can be added to the basic membership for an extra fee. Try your first month for only $1! Sign up here.
How the Basic CSA Membership Works
Your first month with MEG costs only $1. Before the last day of May, you’ll have two options for continued service:
Pay the remainder of the Basic CSA Membership which is *$449 for the 2023 season (5 total months beginning in May-September). This is a discounted rate. *sales tax extra.
Pay monthly which will be *$149 per month starting the first week of June. *sales tax extra.
The Basic CSA runs from the first week of May to to the last week of September. We’ll drop your first round of plants off at your place within the first two weeks of May. You will receive monthly deliveries after that. Plants will be delivered at seasonally appropriate times. This means cool-season plants will come to you first. Warm-season plants will be delivered when Minnesota decides to warm up above 50F for overnight lows 🙂 (typically the first week of June).
All you have to do is harvest your plants when they’re ready. We retain ownership of all the equipment including the grow bags, potting soil, irrigation system, etc. If you’re interested in keeping some or all of the system, let us know and we’ll send you a quote. When the plants complete their growing cycle (i.e. lettuce plant gone to seed), we’ll pick up the bags at the next delivery.
Initial Setup and Requirements
Look for a south-facing area (discussed during the phone consultation too). Your plants will have the best set-up for success on the south side. Other possibilities exist if there isn’t a southern exposure.
Identify your water source (discussed during the phone consultation). Water faucets on the exterior of the home should work fine as long as they’re not plumbed into the water softener.
Plant Day Arrival. We’ll set your grow bags at the pre-determined location and hook-up or set-up any other required equipment (i.e. irrigation system, covers, etc.).
Just about any type of edible plant works with our grow bag system. We have many types of greens including kale, chard, and lettuce varieties. We also have tomatoes, peppers, melons, cucumbers, pumpkins, herbs, edible flowers and much more. Click here for a complete list of available plants.
The Basic CSA Membership includes:
- 1-gallon herb grow bags (10 total/2 per month)
- 3-gallon leafy green grow bags (5 total/ 1 per month)
- 5-gallon grow bag (1 total dropped off in June/July plus 1 bonus)
- 7-gallon grow bags (5 total dropped off in June/July plus 1 bonus)
- 7-gallon wide grow bags (5 total/1 per month plus 1 bonus)
This is a total of 29 grow bags
Helpful Tips For Success
- Water is the most critical input to the success of your plants. Grow bags are nearly impossible to overwater. However, they dry out quicker than in-ground plants. When the summer temperatures arrive, they’ll most likely need to be watered everyday. The bigger the plant = the greater amount of water required.
- Periodically check your plants for any signs of pests or damage (i.e. holes in leaves). It’s best to catch problems early. Here’s a link to the University of Minnesota Extension Service on common Minnesota pests. We have remedies and helpful tactics to deal with common pests and problems.
- Don’t forget to harvest! This is the best part. Different plants will be ready to harvest at different times. See our individual grow bag information for info on harvesting.